“I can’t connect to the internet when I’m abroad”
Have any of you experienced this?
There’s nothing worse than not being able to access information when you are in an unfamiliar place. Even when there is free WiFi available, there are often times where it is not possible to connect, or there are complicated registration processes that make it difficult to use.
If you are in this situation in Japan, you can consider yourself very lucky. This is because there is an app that resolves this issue, called “Town WiFi”.
This article summarises Town WiFi and how to use it.
Town WiFi is an free app that allows you to automatically connect to WiFi spots in the city. If you set the app to automatically connect with hotspots, you can connect seamlessly with the WiFi as long as this option is switched on your phone. There are now over 250,000 WiFi hotspots that are useable and the app has soared in popularity with foreign tourists, having been downloaded over 2 million times.
How to use town Wifi
(1) The app can be downloaded on both iOS and Android, and so can be found on the App Store and google play. (The below screenshots show the download on Android)
(2) Once the app has been downloaded, it can be opened. As shown on the screenshot, you can click on the “START AUTO CONNECT SETUP” button.
(3) A tab will then appear for you to enter your gender and date of birth. Enter this and click “NEXT”.
(4) Auto connect setup is complete! Then click on “CLOSE” after which you can choose the WiFi network to which you wish to connect.
(5) On this screen you can select the WiFi network to connect to. We recommend that you click the bottom button “ADD EVERY WIFI TO AUTO-CONNECT” so that you are able to connect to all 250,000 WiFi hotspots.
(6) Once this is done, the “7 SPOT” settings page will appear. There are 20,000 locations that are known as “7 SPOT” locations where there are the highest concentration of WiFi spots. It is possible to connect to these at the Seven Eleven convenience store. An additional procedure is required to register for this setting, which can be accessed by clicking on “REGISTER TO 7SPOT BY USING TOWN WIFI DATA”.
(7) Below is shown a screenshot of where the WiFi is connected. If you scroll to the bottom, there is a mail address and password entry box, but as the Town WiFi automatic connection setting has been turned on, it is not necessary to enter this. Therefore you just have to check the “利用規約に同意する” box at the bottom left and click on the “確認画面へ” box.
(8) Once you have clicked on this, the setup for 7SPOT is complete. Now you are able to connect to any WiFi spots!
(9) In step (7) if you are not able to connect to a WiFi area, the below screen will appear. In this case, wait a few minutes and close and reopen the app to try and reaccess. Often if you wait around ten minutes to re-access, you will be able to proceed to the next stage.
(10) If you return to the home page, you can add “7 STOP” to the “AUTO-CONNECT” Tab as shown below, and setup is complete!
Except for “SPOT7”, you don't need to set up other Wifi connections, since you will be automatically connected to other Wifi spots such as Starbucks or Tully's Wifi.
You can also connect to JR East Japan WiFi or Tokyo Metro WiFi, so it is possible to access WiFi whilst travelling by rail.
Let’s download Town WiFi!
We hope you can enjoy the convenience of this WiFi app to access the internet any times and any places, with a few simple steps to set up. We highly recommend it!
If you are interested in Pocket WiFi vs SIM Card, feel free to check out this article!
Latest posts by Koki Miyashita (see all)
- Gotokuji: The Sacred Site of the Lucky Cat - 20.May.2018
- The 5 Best Things to Do in Hiroshima - 16.May.2018
- Taketomi Island: Japan's Hidden Paradise Island for an A-list Getaway - 14.May.2018